Takeshima Archives Portal

Top > Mission Report (Report by the Director of Shimane Prefecture's General Affairs Section on a meeting with the Director of the Treaties Section, MOFA)

Content

Mission Report (Report by the Director of Shimane Prefecture's General Affairs Section on a meeting with the Director of the Treaties Section, MOFA)

To clarify dubious rumors about the issue of Takeshima's territorial belonging, I visited the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at 9 a.m. on September 1st as ordered. There, I met with Secretary Chikaraishi, Assistant Director of the Treaties Section in the Treaties Bureau (the Director was absent due to his attendance at the Peace Conference), and when I explained the purpose of my visit… (part omitted)

Details

Utsuryo Island (Ulleungdo) is regarded as Korean territory, and we acknowledge that Japan relinquishes her rights to said island in the draft of the Peace Conference Treaty. However, although Takeshima was placed outside Japanese administrative jurisdiction under SCAPIN No.677, this was a necessary measure in terms of occupational policy, completely unrelated to territorial issues. This is why there is no provision in the current draft Treaty stating that Takeshima is outside Japanese territory, and so there is no reason to harbor any doubt at all.
In the first place, Utsuryo Island was once called Takeshima, and even now there is a reef called Jukdo (Korean for "Takeshima") amongst the surrounding islands. It is therefore thought that this has been confused with what we now call Takeshima, leading to speculation of various kinds.
Given the above, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is in no doubt whatsoever in connection with this issue, and instead finds it regrettable that such baseless rumors have been brought up. Therefore, the Ministry held a press conference on August 31st and issued a news release stating that Takeshima is fully recognized as part of Japanese territory.

Document title Mission Report (Report by the Director of Shimane Prefecture's General Affairs Section on a meeting with the Director of the Treaties Section, MOFA)
Date created (Western calendar) September 3, 1951
Date created (Japanese era) September 3, Showa 26
Author(s) / Editor(s) Imaoka Takeo, General Affairs Section Manager, Shimane Prefecture
Publisher Shimane Prefecture
Name of publication Public Relations Compilation FY1951
Content A mission report on a visit to the Treaties Bureau of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs by Imaoka Takeo, Director of Shimane's General Affairs Section, addressed to the Governor of Shimane Prefecture. On doubtful rumors about Takeshima, Imaoka reports the Ministry's views, in the presence of Secretary Kawakami of the Special Data Section, Political Affairs Bureau, such as that the Ministry had no doubt whatsoever about the territorial belonging of Takeshima, and that it had issued a press release recognizing the islands as part of Japanese territory.
Language Japanese
Public access Open
Repository Takeshima Reference Room (Japanese Only)New Window
Medium Paper
Copies 3 pages
Reference No. T1951090300101
How to access Copy available for public perusal in the Takeshima Reference Room.
Notes