Takeshima Archives Portal

Top > Takeshima Travel Diary (3) (San'in Shimbun)

Content

Takeshima Travel Diary (3) (San'in Shimbun)

We had spent three days watching passing clouds in the sky, but the wind this time was unfortunately no different from a whirlwind. On the 24th, there was rather a strong wind blowing from the west, then it turned northwesterly soon after clouds had come over from the east, then finally northeasterly before dying down. Such a rotation of wind is commonplace, yet I was able to observe it more clearly, as I was transfixed by the moon every day on the islands. In any case, I reassured myself that the wind would surely die down quickly, the weather would be fine, and there would be no need to ask about cables from the weather station, or such like. At 6:30 pm on the 26th, we at last departed from Saigo, and headed north to Takeshima.

Document title Takeshima Travel Diary (3) (San'in Shimbun)
Date created (Western calendar) April 8, 1906
Date created (Japanese era) April 8, Meiji 39
Author(s) / Editor(s) A traveler
Publisher San'in Shimbun Co.
Name of publication San'in Shimbun
Content A travel diary written by a participant in the Takeshima research trip. Part 3 describes the journey from Saigo to Takeshima, the appearance of Takeshima, and their disembarkation. The writer describes how Mr. Nakai, who had experience of sea lion hunting, explained that the big creatures in the sea were sea lions.
Language Japanese
Public access Open
Repository Shimane Prefectural Library (Japanese Only)New Window
Medium Microfilm
Copies 1 page
Reference No. T1906040800102
How to access View at Shimane Prefectural Library.
Notes